It has been way too l-o-n-g since my last post…with the start of school, hurricane power outage, and just being pregnant and exhausted, I have neglected my blog! I have a few things to update on, so here we go!
Spray Painted Tray
I had eyed this tray on a recent trip to Homegoods, and then upon returning found it in the clearance section (it had some chips and dings). For only $8, I thought I could spruce it up! I loved the hexagonal shape, but the hot pink and lime green were a little too preppy for me. For those who don’t know, my favorite holiday is Halloween–I am
mildly obsessed. I thought I’d do a subtle nod to the wonderful fall holiday, but something I could still use year-round. I settled on black and white.
This is what it started as:
I used two coats of Kilz in white to cover the lime green and pink…
Then I taped off my design using painter’s tape and Exact-o knife. In retrospect, I am not crazy about the design–I guess I just didn’t think it through that much. I wanted a ‘trellis’ design and don’t think I executed too well. But I think the overall look in the end was okay. Live and learn!
After taping off, I spray painted with white…. the picture above shows what it looked like after that step.
Then, I spray painted using a glossy black:
…and peeled off the tape after it dried.
Some of the edges needed a tiny bit of touching up, which I used black and white paint pens to do.
Before using, I’ll spray paint with a glossy sealer. I thought it would be cute to serve drinks on at a Halloween party. : – )
Dining Room Curtains
Almost a week’s worth of no electricity after Irene, and a housewarming party planned for Sunday of Labor Day weekend meant a very stressful week for me (just ask my husband). Luckily, school was closed due to power outages as well, so I drove to my mother-in-law’s for a day of sewing curtains for our dining room! We had high aspirations to paint our dining room prior to the party, and with the power outage didn’t even start that project until two days before. A new paint job meant I wanted to get these curtains up too.
I had purchased 4 panels at World Market for $19.99 each. We have a large bay window and a smaller window in the dining room, and I thought this white would look nice and crisp against the dark blue walls we had planned.
I loved the lattice design, almost like a burnout look. But it needed more oomph than just the sheer panel alone, so I purchased 10 yards of muslin to sew behind the panels. The muslin was around $3 per yard, but I had a 50% off coupon to use at Jo-Anns, which saved me a bundle.
This was only my 3rd sewing project using my sewing machine (my parents gave me one for this past Christmas), so I was nervous at first, and you’ll have to excuse the craftsmanship–I have a long way to go yet in terms of experience! But it turned out to be a really enjoyable, rewarding project. :- )
The width of the muslin was advertised as 44 inches, which was the same width as the curtain panel…but for some reason when I measured it, it was a good 2 and some-odd inches longer. Maybe a seasoned seamstress can explain that to me–perhaps it’s the selvedge? Anyway, I measured and pinned a 2.5″ hem to compensate, so the muslin underlay wouldn’t stick out from behind the panel.
Then sewed a hem down the length of the muslin:
After that, I folded over the top of the muslin across the width of the fabric and pinned it to the underside of the lattice panel, directly underneath the rod pocket. Then I sewed them together:
Finally, I pinned up the bottom of the muslin across the width (about 2 inches) because it was a little longer than the lattice panel, and sewed a hem. Here is one finished panel:
After finishing the four panels, I ironed both the lattice and muslin layers with my iron on medium setting. We bought curtain rods at Wal-Mart, they were from the Better Homes and Gardens line and a whopping $20 each! I liked the brushed gold rod with the lucite finials.
I really am so happy with the finished product–I think they look so cute with the sunlight shining through, and great against the dark blue contrast of our walls. We used Olympic One Paint + Primer in Chinese Porcelain, and two coats later, fell in love!
Nothing short of a miracle, we finished painting the dining room and preparing the house in time for our party on Sunday.
A few details: the paper lantern is Jonathan Adler, purchased at TJ Maxx for $3. The napkins and yellow sunflower doilies are from the Dollar Tree. If you are ever in need of flowers for entertaining, Trader Joes is great–I got orange, yellow, red, and pink gerber daisies there for $4.99 a bunch.
I love our napkin holder, purchased from Homegoods–thankfully my mom found one too–we were both dying from the cuteness factor! Here’s a close-up in case you want to hunt for one at your local Homegoods:
The evening turned out to be a great time surrounded by good friends. :- )
I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend, and I look forward to posting again without so long a hiatus this time!