Upholstered Headboard

Well, I was certainly naive to think that I would be able to keep up any semblance of a regular posting these days!  Each time Emme goes down for a nap, it’s a race to the finish to get as many things done as possible!  And usually, the blog falls by the wayside.  All moms out there are saying “duh”, and I am certainly not complaining…it’s just an adjustment!  She is eight weeks old today…I love this smile!

(Here she is sporting one of Dad’s birthday presents 🙂 )

My latest project was creating an upholstered “headboard” for our bed.  After many wake-ups in the wee hours of the morning, we desperately needed something to lean our head against in bed.  And of course it makes the bed (and subsequently the room) more finished.  We are going for a green theme in the room and will definitely need to paint the walls.  Funny how when you finish one project it makes glaringly obvious all the things yet to be done!  I use “headboard” in “quotes” because it’s not actually attached to the bed frame but rather the wall, as you’ll see at the end of the post.

This project has been a few weeks in the making, so it’s hard to say exactly how long it took us from start to finish.  There were of course a lot of pauses along the way.  I will say that it was a pretty time-consuming project, but the end result was certainly worth it!

I won’t bore you with all the details of the how-to, because we followed the same steps as in the trunk bench cushion.  Please refer to that for instructions, and I will give a brief summary below with pictures.

We had a piece of plywood cut down at Lowe’s to 5×3 feet, to fit the length of our queen bed.

After much deliberation, I decided to keep the rectangular shape.  I wanted there to be enough clearance to sit upright in bed, and I figured the fabric’s pattern made a good statement alone, that it didn’t necessarily need more detail.  Keep in mind that you can always change the shape or fabric over the years if your tastes change–just remove the staples!

We had to buy the 2″ foam in two pieces since they could only cut it one way at Jo-Ann’s.  Then we measure and cut with an Exacto knife to fit the board.

Once we had the pieces cut down to size, we sprayed this adhesive onto the plywood and pressed the foam pieces back down.  This step was different from the bench we covered, but necessary due to the size of the piece we were working with and the multiple foam pieces.

Then we covered the foam and plywood with batting, and stapled it into place on the backside of the plywood.  We laid the fabric underneath (we used 2 yards) and wrapped that around the batting, and stapled it as well.

Here’s a close-up of the fabric:

We purchased flush mounts to mount the headboard to the wall, directly behind the bed.

And the finished product:

I think it makes the bed and room look more put-together…and it’s much comfier during those late nights!