Well, my energy cooperated with me today, and I was itching for a project to do…plus, keeping busy makes the time go by faster until the baby decides to arrive!
Our lack of guest room bedding has been bothersome as of late…I have been looking high and low for an inexpensive duvet or quilt to put on the bed, but to no avail. We still have more work to do in the room–new paint color, chandelier prints to hang, and a new bed skirt needed…but I figured sprucing up the bed was a good start.
I had seen a sheet set at Kohls that was out of my price range, and just sheets. But today I searched for DIY comforters/duvets on Pinterest and it led me to an easy tutorial using two flat sheets on Martha Stewart’s website. So I decided to give it a try!
I went back to Kohls, and the queen sheet set was on sale. And with using an additional 15% off coupon, a gift card, and merchandise credit….my grand total came to $2.02. For sheets that started at $90.00!
I liked the funky black and white geometric print of the sheets, and thought it would look good in the guest room. I am hoping to achieve an art deco/graphic/masculine-meets feminine look. Sounds like a lot going on, doesn’t it? But I have a vision in my head and hopefully it will translate to real life when all is said and done!
For the underside of the duvet, I used a white sheet from Pottery Barn that we had on hand. I pinned the sheets right side together, and stitched the two long sides together using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.
For the bottom of the duvet, I pinned the edges together, leaving a 3 foot gap to put the comforter inside. The white sheet was slightly longer than the printed one, so it left a longer hem after sewing. This was fine because the actual comforter was a little bit shorter than the sheets themselves, and I didn’t want it swimming in there!
Once these edges (minus the gap) were sewn together, I turned the duvet right-side out.
For the top edge of the duvet, I stitched along the outside, right underneath the top seam of both sheets. (Pictured here is the other side of the duvet, not the black and white side, obviously!)
To close the 3-foot gap once the comforter is inside, I used fusable Velcro strips–new sewing required, just an iron!
I evenly spaced the Velcro and followed the instructions in the package for ironing them on…it was very simple.
Pictured above is after I ironed on the fuzzy side of the Velcro. I stuck the loops side directly to the fuzzy side so I could make sure they were lined up before I ironed them on.
I placed both sides of the gap together, then ironed on the Velcro strips.
This is probably obvious to most, but just keep that iron moving so it doesn’t scorch the fabric, and make sure to give the Velcro ample time to cool before you start pulling open the gap to insert the comforter.
So….$2.02 for the sheets, and $1.50 for the Velcro (I used a 50% off coupon at Michaels) helped me create this cute duvet for a whopping $3.50!
Here are some close-ups of the pattern, and both sides of the duvet:
For a sewing novice like myself, I am proud of my handiwork and the finished result! Now our guests will have a warm and cozy place to sleep. : )